I'm involved in an online community that offers advice and business tools for creatives. Generally, the information they send is enlightening, thought-provoking, and puts me in a better mindset than I was before I read it.
An email for today's creative challenge contained this question:
Today's writing prompt:
What really makes you angry about the world?
Why should I focus my energy on the negatives of this world when there are so many INCREDIBLE things? Why do I want such a heavy, negative thought to drag me down?
I don't watch dramas on TV, and I choose my news outlets carefully because I'm a feeling person, and we're bombarded with an overabundance of negative stories every day. I am still well-informed on current events, but choose not to immerse myself in them.
The whole spirit behind diaVerge.com is to maintain a positive voice, and focus on the wonder in our every day lives:
- We are alive! We are living, breathing and experiencing another day. That's incredible!
- We live in free countries, without war, without military dictatorships. We are fortunate.
- We have modern medical care and electricity and running water. Available EVERY DAY.
- We have cars, and schools and food at the grocery store. We don't wait in line for meager rations, as many in this world do.
- We have technology to help us stay alive, to make a living, and to make our lives easier.
- We have internet, where we can connect with others, learn, grow, work, teach and have fun.
- Diabetes or not, we are taking charge of our health and making the choice to better ourselves.
I WILL NOT focus on what makes me angry in this world.
I will choose to focus on writing, self-improvement, self-love, and gratitude for all that I am, and all that I have.
That's the best way that I can stay healthy in mind and body. That's the best way to keep going every day.
Now, looking back on the writing prompt above, it did exactly what it was intended to do: It was thought-provoking, enlightening, and put me in a better mindset than I was before.
Make today great, everyone!